Some phases of life are more challenging than others. This could be because of an intensive workload, final exam season, a family crisis, life transition or recovering from an injury. The increased mental, physical or emotional fatigue can leave your body feeling like it needs a little additional support.
What can you do?
Make time to relax. This could be extra sleep, reducing your day-to-day commitments, or even a Netflix binge. Try to set aside at least one hour a day to do whatever feels right for you.
Say no, or ask for support as needed. Do you need alone time? Or some help with groceries? Be honest with your friends and family on how they can best support you.
Meditation. The research is in! Meditation can increase resilience, decrease burnout, improve emotional regulation, and decrease stress.
Exercise. Exercise has been shown to improve cognition, memory and mental health. This is partially due to its ability to increase dopamine.
Nature time. Time spent in natural settings has been found to decrease anxiety, anger, depression, and decrease blood pressure.
Eat a healthy diet. Aim for a diet which is 80% whole, unprocessed foods. Neurogenesis, the formation of new brain cells, is partially regulated by brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). Early studies show BDNF is increased by eating carenoid-rich fruits and vegetables. Neurogenesis is decreased by diets high in fat and sugar.
How can a health professional offer support?
- A preliminary study found combining acupuncture with an anti-depressant, may result in better psychological health, compared to the anti-depressant alone.
- Acupuncture may decrease perceived stress and improve energy.
Myers’ Cocktail IV
- A blend of B vitamins, vitamin C and minerals such as magnesium, are administered intravenously and are tailored to an individuals specific needs.
- Taking these nutrients as an IV, allows for a rapid increase in cellular levels. This can reduce fatigue, support immune function and decrease migraines.
- Supplements contain herbs, nutrients, homeopathic extracts or other natural substances.
- Your naturopathic doctor can chose supplements specific to your health needs.
- Periods of stress can disrupt digestive function, alter mood or cause hormonal imbalances. Specific nutraceuticals can be prescribed as a part of a treatment plan.
Tailored diet plans
- Skin concerns? Digestive upset?
- IgG or IgA food testing may be recommended to assess for foods that are causing inflammation.
- Can be prescribed as needed as part of a well-rounded healthcare plan.
- Can provide a space to process and allow for self-reflection.
- Can promote a healthy relationship with challenging emotions.
- Promotes relaxation and may decrease anxiety.